Friday, June 12, 2009

Road Trip Food


What do I eat on a road trip that will cover 2500 miles and host 2 very large dogs as driving partners?  If this trip were merely through the United States, I would plan on grocery store stops, Farmers Markets and fun out of the way restaurants.  But alas, I am driving through British Columbia and the Yukon Territory.  If the rest of what I’m about to say is offensive to you Canadians out there, I am sorry, but it’s the truth.  The food north of 100 Mile House (what a name for a town) just sucks!

            I’m whining, unfortunately.  I could cook my own food, this is true, but then I would have to find my backpacking stove and something tells me it is in storage in Alaska.  I could focus on raw and processed foods…  I made a trip to Trader Joes (www.traderjoes.com) looking for inventive road trip food.  I settled on fruit leather, nuts and some animal like crackers.  I had to try the cookies, boy am I glad I did, blah!  They will not be going on the trip to Alaska.  The cookies in all of their cinnamon glory will be gifted to my neighbors.

            I will continue to sample the fare as I traverse north through Canada, supplementing with produce along the way.  Someone should really develop a blog or a website reviewing restaurants along the ALCAN…

No comments:

Post a Comment