Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hallelujah, the sun is out in Seattle!

The sun is out in Seattle.  That is not the first thought that entered my mind this morning when I cracked a weary eye toward the window.  The first thought was a little less positive, I was more concerned with the spotlight smacking me in the face!  The whiny voice in my head cried, “I just want to sleep 45 minutes more, is that too much to ask?”  I immediately realized my sin in thinking such a thought, the sun is out, hallelujah!  Get your ass out of bed and outside!  A bathroom visit and a glass of water later I found myself wandering in the field behind my house contemplating the day as the early morning sun filtered through air.  I decided I could use some natural Prozac and I set to work weeding in the house garden, saying hello to my dandelion and slug friends along the way.  Mid-April is the perfect time to find solace in the garden in Seattle, it isn’t quite time to start planting, but it is close.

My short sojourn in the garden left me thinking about vegetables, more specifically young greens.  I ventured to the grocery, picking out baby spinach and other young greens.  I also took advantage of the pears and before I knew it, I had the most amazing spring salad growing in the basket on my arm.  I have plans to plant my own spring greens this weekend.

 

Spring Salad for 1

1 pear

1 cup baby spinach

1 cup mixed baby greens

1 ounce feta, crumbled

1/8 cup dried cranberries

1 thin slice sweet onion

¼ cup mixed beans – garbanzo, kidney, pinto

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil

fresh cracked black pepper

 

No comments:

Post a Comment