Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter

Easter Weekend!  A time for decadent chocolate shaped like bunnies and a rousing search for the infamous golden egg.  I spent the weekend with friends, or rather my extended family here in Washington.  After a day of kayaking, we gathered around a late night fire to make smores and drink wine.  Smores, a product of childhood that can’t really be improved upon although some have tried and failed miserably.  I explained this concept to our friends, but they insisted on trying to toast a “peep”.  I really hate to say “I told you so”, but in this case it is warranted. 

On the actual day of Easter the seven of us gathered around the dining room table to enjoy a homemade brunch as the rain beat a tattoo on the metal roof and the house was encased in the soft light of dark grey rain clouds.  Easy conversation rolled through the house along with the scent of fresh brewed coffee.  Breakfast foods are the best!  We dined on cinnamon rolls, potato hash, biscuits and scrambled eggs. 

A great holiday weekend, spent with friends over a collection of delicious meals and adventures.


Potato Hash for 7

olive oil

1 small sweet onion, diced

4 cloves of garlic, diced

2 Garnet Yams, diced

4 Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 zucchini, diced

1 cup mixed mushrooms, diced

vegetarian breakfast sausage, crumbled

*Note: when at home in Alaska or sea kayak guiding in Prince William Sound, we sometimes use Reindeer Sausage

Bring a large skillet to temperature over medium heat.  Add the olive oil and dice onion, sauté until soft.  Add the garlic, sauté for another 2 minutes.  Cook the diced yams and potatoes with the onions and garlic until tender.  Add olive oil as needed.  When the potatoes are soft and beginning to brown, add the other vegetables and crumbled breakfast sausage, cook for 10 more minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with salsa.

4 comments:

  1. Yum, the hash sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree those hash browns sound scrumptious. I am going to try it for breakfast with side of black beans with grated cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just used the last of my potatoes-- now I'm going to have to get more to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely description of your Easter gathering. Made me feel I was there.

    ReplyDelete