Saturday, April 25, 2009

Craving a Crepe

I absolutely love crepes.  On a visit to Amsterdam, I insisted upon eating crepes everyday.  Refusing to vary, I stuck with the powdered sugar and banana crepe for two weeks.  An addiction was born.  Street vendor crepes, café crepes and fancy restaurant crepes…  I am still partial to bananas and powdered sugar, but every now and then I stray toward an adventurous crepe. 

Since moving to Seattle I have searched high and low for good crepes.  This past weekend I yelped my way to Saley on First Hill in Seattle.  This amazing little crepe café is a one-woman operation serving both sweet and savory crepes.  I completely eschewed my failsafe and went for a whole new flavor.  I had a savory crepe filled with avocado, spinach, mozzarella and tomato.  And because I had now committed myself to several hours at the gym, I followed up with the amazing strawberry and Nutella crepe.  I must admit that I had never before tried Nutella on a crepe.  Generally, I try to avoid this product because of the partial hydrogenated fats, but life is all about moderation.

Once upon a time in a land far far away, I found myself with a Norwegian roommate in Scotland.  My roommate taught me how to make a Norwegian crepe.  I made crepes 4-5 times a week for a year.  They were economical, delicious and calorie dense, absolutely perfect for a starving college student.

 

The Norwegian Crepe

This recipe produces 2 large crepes.

1 egg

½ cup flour

¾ cup milk

 

Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.  Heat a crepe pan or omelet pan over medium heat, mist with olive oil and pour a thin layer to coat the pan.  When the edges are cooked, very carefully flip the crepe.  Cook for 2 more minutes and place on a plate.  Top with your choice of fillings and roll.  For the past few years I have stuck with nut butter and bananas.  

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, you make it sound so easy and delicious. Can you make the batter ahead of time so that it's ready when you get up in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, I haven't tried making the batter ahead of time. I would like to try using different flours.

    ReplyDelete