Saturday, May 16, 2009

Can you feel the heat?


Warm sunny days inspire the grill master in all of us.  Often times, the best meal is a simple meal.  Today is a beautiful day in Seattle and I have an invitation to join a friend in her back yard for some veggie grilling, white wine and general catching up.

While driving to her house I realize that the nice weather has encouraged everyone to come outside.  Laughter bubbles up from behind hedge rows, children chase with water guns and dogs try to find respite in the shade.  On the road, windows were down as we all sought the warm breeze.  The parks were crowded and the beach was full.  I could tell the popular spots as I drove across town, they were the places were people were circling, desperately looking for parking.

As I finally reached the safety of my friend’s quiet neighborhood I let me mind daydream about grilling and the dinner to come.  Asparagus on the grill adds a snap to our lanky friend.  Mushrooms weep over an open flame.  Zucchini and bell peppers release sugars that add to their already sweet flavor.  Cook up a batch of fresh pasta, toss with the grilled veggies, olive oil and a little fresh parmesan, viola – dinner is ready.

Hot days do not inspire heavy meals, instead I crave fresh fruit and vegetables.  If your not burnt out on the grill, it is also a wonderful place to create dessert.  Slices of fresh pineapple, with a dash of cinnamon and a sprinkle of brown sugar, caramelize into heaven on earth.

We spent the evening enjoying lovely conversation, refreshing food and a crisp wine.  Eventually, we were chased inside by goose bumps and cooling temperatures.

1 comment: